Header Image

Town Council Election 2017

To be eligible to vote in the elections on 4 May 2017 you need to register by Thursday 13 April – Register at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote or contact Cornwall Council Electoral Service on 0300 123 1115 or by e-mail at voter-registration@cornwall.gov.uk.
If you are already registered, you do not need to apply again.


 Register to vote

In order to vote at the Local Council Election on 4th May 2017 you need to be on the electoral register. To be eligible to vote in these elections you need to register by Thursday 13 April.

To check if you are registered or to find out how to register contact Cornwall Council on 0300 123 1115 or e-mail voter-registration@cornwall.gov.uk. You can register online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote. Further information can be found on the Cornwall Council website at www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/elections/electoral-registration/.

Why should I register to vote

If you don’t register:

• you cannot vote;
• you cannot nominate a candidate;
• you do not get a say on who represents you;
• you do not have a say on important issues that affect you.

Further information can be found at https://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register-to-vote/why-should-i-register-to-vote.

Who can register to vote

You can register to vote if you are 17 years old (and in some cases if you are 16) but you can only vote when you become 18.

You qualify to register to vote if you are:

• a British citizen
• an EU citizen resident in the UK
• a qualifying Commonwealth citizen resident in the UK

A qualifying Commonwealth citizen is someone who has leave to enter or remain in the UK, or does not require such leave.

Further information can be found at http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register-to-vote/who-can-register-to-vote.


Information with people
with Learning Disabilities

Mencap have produced a series of easy read guides to tell you everything you need to know about voting, registering to vote and supporting someone else to vote. All of the guides are available to download for free from their website - https://www.mencap.org.uk/voting-and-registering-vote.

The guides include:

Guide to registering to vote
The importance of voting
Voting at a Polling Station


Help for disabled people

If you are disabled, you may be able to vote by post  or by proxy.

If you are partially sighted and choose to vote in person, the polling station must display a large print version of the ballot paper to assist you. If you are blind or partially sighted the polling station must also provide a device to enable you to fill in your ballot papers without any need for assistance from anyone else.

If you are physically disabled or unable to read, you may take a companion to help you complete the ballot form and put it in the ballot box. Your companion must be aged 18 or over (16 or over if it is a Scottish Parliamentary or local government election in Scotland) and be entitled to vote, and must make a written declaration to this effect.

Your companion cannot help more than one disabled voter to vote at that election. The presiding officer has to be satisfied that you need the help of a companion in order to vote.

Alternatively, you can ask the presiding officer to mark the ballot paper on your behalf. 

The Electoral Commission have produced a fact sheet which can be viewed here.